1.15.2011

Grocery Shopping

My friend Kami posted yesterday on how she grocery shops. When and where. I find it interesting to see how another person buys food and what they buy (since she has such a good diet, I have yet to find a good purpose for dates...).
I thought I would try it out.
There are 3 stores I shop at in Las Cruces, and 3 'other' places.

Albertsons
  • Almond milk (I like Silks PureAlmond unsweetened, it has less sodium than Almond Dream)
  • Milk
  • Sausage (Johnsonvilles Bistro Nitrate/Nitrite free hotdogs)
  • Pasta sauce (not organic, but in glass bottles)
  • Oatmeal (the sweetened stuff- but at least we don't have cereal in the house anymore)
  • organic bananas (I tend to pick these up where ever, whenever they are needed)
  • Newman's Own sandwich cookies (my husband's treat)
Mountain View Market or Tucan Market ( I trade off between these two)
  • Ancient Harvest Quinoa/corn pasta
  • bulk grains/ beans
  • Organic veggies
  • Udi's gluten-free bread
  • Any other gluten-free treats
Las Cruces Farmers Market
  • Fresh ground spelt or rye bread
  • In season organic veggies
  • Local free range Eggs (if not sold out)
  • Raw honey
Dixie Chickens
  • Free range eggs
  • Free range frozen chicken
Los Poblanos Organics (Las Cruces Organics)
  • Organic Veggies market box
  • Organic Bananas
  • Organic apples
I think the problem living in a small(er) town is that organic and free range things are more expensive. For example, the free-range chicken is $4 a pound (not in the store, it is more expensive in stores), eggs are between $3.50 and $4 a doz..

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Our free range chicken is about $5 a pound, so you're pretty lucky. I wouldn't think they're extra expensive, but rather maybe even cheaper. I envy your farmers market still.