4.21.2009

April showers? Not here.

I think it may be the time of the year, but I'm getting all nesty.

What I mean is that I want a place of my own, so that I can paint and decorate and garden to my hearts content and not worry that my landlord is going to sue me. If anyone knows of a landlord that will let me go crazy (in a totally controled, organized way) let me know. Until then I will dream.
This is a house that is for sale in Springville, we have been looking at, since they are only asking $124,ooo for it. We might even go look at it next week when we are in town. The crazy side- it is only 714 square feet. We don't even think our car will fit into the garage, but we also think that is perfect. I did think it needed some sprucing up in the front yard, so I designed it. Sorry for the sad quality, the drawing was larger than my scanner, so I had to scan it 5 times and piece it together (without photoshop). Alot of the color didn't show up, and it is a little uneven in places.


I am essentially getting rid of all but a 4-5' strip of lawn in front (to blend in with neighbors) and filling in with a few native shrubs like snowberry (Ceanothus velutinus) or little leaf mountain mahogany (Cercocarpus intricatus), fernbush (Chamaebatiaria millefolium) that you can treat like a perennial and cut back every year, mormon tea (Ephedra viridis) or scotch broom, a few ornamental shrubs like dwarf mugo pine (Pinus mugo pumilla), magic carpet spirea (Spiraea japonica hybrid) and maybe even a rose of sharon (Hibiscus syriacus). Fill in with beautiful perennials, a few annuals and groundcovers, and it is good. OH, and I moved the tree, it needs to be nearer to the driveway to balance the space.

What this drawing doesn't show is that this property has practically a 12' park strip. Perfect, I say, for raised garden beds, I mean, what else are you going to do with a 12' hell strip? And since there are large trees all around the property, it probably gets the most sun of anywhere on the property.

In my design I was totally inspired by this garden in Better Homes and Gardens shown here and at the beginning of the post, it is a garden in Alaska (which I totally respect- high altitude gardening is SO hard). I love the use of lawn edging then another edge of river rock embeded into the edge, it makes such a great impact.

1 comment:

Stacy Hart said...

i didn't know you were maybe going to move back to utah! that would be awesome :)